6 Truths About Psychotherapy
Updated: Jul 7, 2019
1. Therapy can be hard and you may not leave every session feeling great. Everyone’s experience in therapy is different based on their own needs, presenting concerns, personalities etc.
2. It is okay to ask questions and to tell your therapist if you do not agree with them, if they offend you, about any other concerns.
3. It is not the therapists job to “fix” you. It is a collaborative effort and you need to be willing to show up and do the work. You will only get out what you put in.
4. It is unlikely that your therapist will be able to tell you in your first session how many sessions you are going to need.
5. Therapy is an investment in yourself and your well-being.
6. Not every therapist and client are a good fit. Personality, style of therapy, background, and other factors can affect this so if you don’t feel a good fit, shop around!